Are you ready to hit the trails and conquer the great outdoors? Look no further than the best Salomon hiking shoes that will take your hiking adventures to the next level! Whether you're a summer explorer, a speed hiker, or in search of an all-around hiking shoe, we've got you covered. In this article, we'll dive into the top Salomon hiking shoes on the market, compare their features, and help you decide which one is best for you. Get ready to step into comfort, durability, and top-notch performance with the best Salomon hiking shoes! So, lace up your boots and let's get started.
Best Salomon hiking shoes overall
Salomon X Ultra 4 GTX Full review of Salomon X Ultra 4 GTX
Best Salomon hiking shoes for summer
Salomon X Ultra 4 Full review of Salomon X Ultra 4
Best Salomon hiking shoes for speed hiking
Salomon Outpulse Full review of Salomon Outpulse
Comparison of the 3 best Salomon hiking shoes
|# of colorways|
Since its establishment, Salomon has continuously improved and expanded its range of equipment. Today, Salomon is a top choice for hiking footwear. If you are considering a pair of Salomon hiking shoes, you have come to the right place.
How to decide which Salomon hiking shoe is best for you
We have done our best to review and identify the best Salomon hiking shoes in various categories. But what else should you consider when choosing which Salomon hiking shoe is right for you?
- Terrain type
- Amount of weight you carry
- Duration of your hikes
One of the most important factors to consider when shopping for Salomon hiking shoes is the type of terrain you will be hiking on the most.
For example, do you prefer easy trails, technical trails, or off-trail hiking?
- Easy to moderate trails have stable and relatively even surfaces, such as fire roads and well-maintained single-track trails. These trails are typically found in open spaces like valleys and prairies.
- Technical and advanced trails have uneven terrain with rocks, roots, steps, and steep uphill sections. These trails are found in mountainous areas with varied landscapes.
- Off-trail hiking involves uneven, unstable, and highly technical terrain. You may encounter obstacles, water crossings, and scrambling. This type of hiking is usually done in remote areas away from established trails.
For easy to moderate trails, lightweight, flexible, and comfortable shoes with good cushioning are recommended. These shoes prioritize comfort over stiffness.
Example: Salomon Outpulse
For technical trails, stiffer and more stable shoes with extra reinforcements like heel protectors and rubber toe caps are recommended. These features enhance durability on harsh terrains.
Example: Salomon X Ultra 4
Amount of weight you carry
Consider the typical weight you carry when selecting Salomon hiking shoes. Do you carry a day pack with food and water, or do you go on multi-day backpacking trips? Alternatively, do you engage in light and fast hiking where you only carry essential items like a phone and car keys?
Your browser does not support the video tag.
For lighter loads, more flexible hiking shoes are suitable as long as the terrain allows for it. For heavier loads, stiffer and more stable shoes are recommended to provide ankle stability.
Duration of the hikes
Determining the duration of your hikes is somewhat subjective based on fitness and experience level. Consider whether your hikes are short and easy or long and challenging. For example, a one-hour hike on easy terrain may feel long and difficult for one person but easy for another.
Nonetheless, these parameters are important to consider. Generally, lighter and more flexible shoes are suitable for shorter and easier hikes, while stiffer and more stable shoes are recommended for longer hikes.
Trying on Salomon hiking shoes
Trying on hiking shoes involves more than simply lacing them up and calling it a day. Here are some pro tips to remember when trying on your new Salomon hiking shoes:
- Try on the shoes with the hiking socks you typically wear. This may seem obvious, but it's important to ensure a proper fit with your usual socks.
- Look out for any pressure points or hot spots on your feet. If you feel any discomfort, it may indicate that the shape of the shoe doesn't match your foot, and breaking them in may not resolve the issue.
- If possible, try on the shoes at the end of the day when your feet are more likely to be swollen, simulating the conditions during and after a hike.
- If you fall between sizes, it's generally recommended to choose the larger size to accommodate foot swelling. If the shoe is slightly too big, you can use a new insole for a better fit. It's more challenging to adjust a shoe that is too small.
- When buying online, consider purchasing multiple pairs of hiking shoes. It's easier to return the pair that doesn't fit compared to returning and re-ordering a different size. Check the marketplace's return policy before making a purchase.
Quicklace: Salomon's Innovative Closure System
The Quicklace system operates similarly to traditional lacing systems. However, instead of managing two separate laces and tying a knot, all you need to do is pull on a single strand to tighten the shoe.
To tighten the Quicklace system:
- Begin at the bottom and pull on both sides of the lacing system to achieve a uniformly snug fit for your foot.
- Pull the single lace at the top of the shoe as tight as desired.
- Slide the buckle down to your foot.
- Tuck the excess lace and buckle into the pocket located on the shoe's tongue.
Your browser does not support the video tag.
- Remove the excess lace and buckle from the pocket.
- Secure the end of the lace and pull it away from the shoe, maintaining tension.
- Squeeze the button on the lace and slide the buckle away from the shoe.
- If necessary, loosen the remaining sections of the lacing system to remove the shoe.
For some individuals, there remains uncertainty regarding the effectiveness of the Quicklace system compared to conventional lacing systems. However, we have found that the Quicklace system works perfectly well with naturally fitting shoes.
However, if you have wider or narrower feet that require specific adjustments, you may not find the Quicklace closure system as customizable.
Top Salomon Hiking Boots Overall
Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid GTX Read the Full Review of Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid GTX
Top Salomon Hiking Boots for Backpacking
Salomon Quest 4 GTX
What Sets It Apart
Backpackers seeking a supportive and stable boot that provides ultimate foot protection throughout each step need not search any further. Boasting exceptional support and durability, the Salomon Quest 4 GTX stands out as the leading backpacking boot in the Salomon lineup.
With an impressive amount of ankle support, the Quest 4 GTX means business. Salomon's tried-and-tested support system ensures a secure fit without slippage or blisters. After conducting manual tests on the heel counter, we found it to be among the stiffest we have assessed, earning a solid 5 out of 5 rating. It securely cradled our feet without compression or discomfort, even when carrying a heavy pack.
The boot goes the extra mile in terms of stability. Its wide platform provides a solid base for hiking on rough, rocky trails. In the lab, we measured the midsole width at the forefoot and discovered it to be 2.7 mm wider than average at 116.5 mm. This wider width contributes to enhanced stability on uneven terrain.
Durability is another standout feature of the Salomon Quest 4 GTX. With its multi-layered overlays, protective toebox consisting of a sturdy rubber toe cap, nubuck leather, and robust nylon weave, this boot is built to withstand a beating. In our rigorous testing, we subjected the toe cap to a Dremel tool for 12 seconds with a force of 3.2 N at 5K RPM. The boot showed only minor scraping, proving its toughness and our confidence in its long-lasting performance.
However, it's important to note that the Quest 4 GTX has a heel-to-toe drop of 18 mm, significantly higher than the average of 12.4 mm. This may be uncomfortable for hikers who prefer a more natural underfoot feel. Therefore, we do not recommend it to backpackers seeking a minimalist experience.
- Exceptional durability
- Top-notch waterproofing
- Excellent impact protection
- Highly secure ankle support
- Fantastic stability
- Comfortable fit
- Effective grip on various terrain
- True to size
- Relatively heavy
- Can become stiff in cold weather
Read the Full Review of Salomon Quest 4 GTX
Comparison of the 3 Best Salomon Hiking Boots
|# of Colorways|
In conclusion, Salomon offers a wide range of high-quality hiking shoes and boots that cater to different needs and preferences. Whether you're looking for all-around performance, breathability for hot summer hikes, or lightning-fast speed hiking capabilities, Salomon has got you covered. With their innovative Quicklace closure system, trying on and securing your Salomon hiking shoes is a breeze. So, take your time to compare the best Salomon hiking shoes and boots and find the perfect fit for your outdoor adventures. Embrace the comfort, durability, and performance that Salomon brings to the table, and hit the trails with confidence. Happy hiking!