Winter is a season where wet weather can cause havoc on shoes and feet. People often struggle to keep their shoes and feet dry during the season. The best way to keep shoes dry is by waterproofing them. Waterproofing protects shoes from all moisture and lets people walk easily during rainy or snowy weather.
Methods to Make Shoes Waterproof:
1. Waterproof Sprays: Sprays can be used on different materials like canvas and suede shoes. Different sprays are available for different materials. Sprays are the most popular way to waterproof suede shoes without damaging them.
2. Nikwax: This brand produces waxes and gels that can waterproof leather and fabric shoes. Waxes and gels act as water repellents and help revive shoes' appearance.
3. Silicone: Some waterproof sprays are silicone-based, and they are suitable for all types of shoes, making it easy for people with different shoes and boots to waterproof them.
4. Beeswax: Beeswax can be used to waterproof shoes. Once found, a solid piece of beeswax should be covered on canvas shoes until the product is visible on the shoes. Then, the product should be worked into the shoes using a hairdryer for long-lasting protection.
5. Candle Wax: A candle can substitute beeswax for waterproofing shoes. Simply rubbing a candle over the shoes can help make them waterproof. Once the shoes have a lighter color from the wax rubbing off, using a hairdryer on the highest setting, the wax should be heated until the shoes return to their original color.
6. Vaseline: Vaseline can be used to waterproof leather shoes. Before coating a layer of Vaseline, the shoes should be cleaned. The layer of Vaseline will help to waterproof the shoes temporarily.
Wax v Beeswax:
Wax and beeswax are the common wax-based products used to waterproof shoes. Different products have different pros and cons. Beeswax forms a layer over the shoes rather than soaking in, and it is a better barrier for waterproofing the shoes. However, beeswax does not provide the best shine or look, and over time, it may alter the appearance of the shoe. Wax, on the other hand, provides some weather protection for shoes and helps them look shiny and healthy but needs frequent repetition to stay waterproof.
How to Waterproof Leather Boots and Shoes:
- Waterproofing leather shoes and trainers is an easy process. Here are six steps to help waterproof leather shoes successfully:
1. Cleaning the shoes and wiping them down
2. Using saddle soap and water to rub away any scuffs
3. Not getting the leather too wet and avoiding shoes from drying out in the sun
4. Polishing shoes using a soft, clean cloth to apply the polish
5. Using circular motions to go over the polish with a clean cloth to remove any excess
6. Rubbing or spraying the suitable waterproofing method into the leather
How to Waterproof Walking Boots:
These boots need to be waterproof to keep feet warm and dry, especially during a vacation or long walks in the woods. Even if the hikes are not that strenuous, getting wet feet miles away from home is never a good look. Here are some tips for making walking boots waterproof:
1. Thoroughly cleaning any mud or dirt from the boots using a stiff bristle brush then wiping them with a rag.
2. Warming up the leather a little with a hairdryer, so it absorbs sealant better.
3. Applying the sealant with a rag evenly across the shoes.
4. Buffing the excess sealant over the boot and letting it dry.
5. Applying Dubbin wax instead of sealant to a cloth
6. Rubbing the wax over the boots evenly, letting it dry naturally for about 30-60 minutes, and buffing it off with a dry cloth.
When to Waterproof Shoes:
It is essential to waterproof shoes before the hail start's pouring. A wise approach is to waterproof shoes before the wet season to be prepared for any wet weather that may strike suddenly. People should repeat the waterproofing every few months to stay dry, regardless of the shoe's type.
Winter is the season of wet weather, where people find it challenging to keep their shoes dry. However, with the help of different waterproof sprays and products, shoes can be saved from wet weather damage. It is essential to choose a waterproof product that suits the type of shoe and maintain the product by repeating the process regularly to stay dry in all weather conditions.